Skip to main content

Education Benefits

This program is available for those who enlist in the U.S. Armed Forces. Under Chapter 30, Active Duty members enroll and pay $100 per month for 12 months; and are then entitled to receive a monthly education benefit once they have completed a minimum service obligation. Benefits under this program are generally payable for 10 years following your release from active duty. For more information click here.

The VA's Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (VR&E) program, also known as Chapter 31, helps veterans with service-connected disabilities by offering them services and assistance to help them prepare for, find and keep suitable employment. As part of these services, veterans may qualify for educational benefits. Chapter 31 educational benefits range from on-the-job training to formal training at Applied Technology Centers, Community Colleges and Universities. Veterans who qualify for services may receive up to 48 months of training benefits. To find out more information about whether or not you qualify for Chapter 31 benefits, you should contact the VA Regional Office in Salt Lake City. You can reach the VR&E office by calling 1-800-827-1000 or (801) 326-2431. For applications and additional program information, please visit Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment Services by clicking here.

The Post-9/11 GI Bill provides financial support for education and housing to individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service after September 10, 2001, or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days. You must have received an honorable discharge to be eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill. The Post-9/11 GI bill also offers some service member the opportunity to transfer their GI Bill to dependents. Please visit the GI Bill website for more information on what this benefit offers.

*Chapter 33 (Post-9/11) recipients cannot combine Tuition Waivers (i.e.: Purple Heart waiver) or Tuition Assistance (i.e.: Goarmyed) to create a surplus of funds (tuition and fees paid over 100%). If a waiver and Chapter 33 are combined and pay more than a 100% of the tuition and fees, funds will be distributed back to the sponsors-not to the student. This does not include Financial Aid (i.e.: Pell Grants) that can be used for items other than tuition and fees. Pell Grants and student loans can be sent to the student if a surplus is created. *

This program provides up to 36 months of education benefits to those who are actively drilling members of the Selected Reserve or National Guard. As long as you are actively drilling, benefits are generally payable for 14 years after you are determined eligible. For more information click here.

This benefit provides education and training opportunities to eligible dependents of certain veterans. The program offers up to 45 months of education benefits. Please visit the Surivors and Dependents VA page for more information.

Department of Defense (DoD) Federal Tuition Assistance (FTA)

Active Duty, Guard, and Reserve Students

The Department of Defense (DoD) Tuition Assistance (TA) program provides financial assistance to Service members for voluntary off-duty education programs in support of professional and personal self-development goals. TA is available for courses that are offered in the classroom or by distance learning and are part of an approved academic degree or certificate program.

The courses must be offered by schools that are recognized by the U.S. Department of Education and are signatories to the current DoD Voluntary Education Partnership Memorandum of Understanding (DOD MOU). Southern Utah University is a participant. The Services are authorized to establish Service specific eligibility criteria to manage TA funds.

As such, service members interested in TA should reach out to an Education Services Office (ESO), Military Advisor, or service prior to enrollment). Service members may visit their local installation education center, go online to a virtual education center or follow the following links for each service branch:

Prerequisites to Using TA:

  • Visit with your Education Services Officer (ESO) or Counselor within your Military Service prior to enrolling at SLCC
  • Apply for TA funding in your branch’s education portal
  • Apply for admission at SLCC
  • Make an appointment with SLCC Veterans Services at:  or call 801-957-4289 to assist you with:
    •  Veterans Services Benefits & Resources Orientation (20 – 30 minutes)
      • Taylorsville – Redwood Campus – 4200 S. Redwood Rd. Taylorsville, UT

Federal Tuition Assistance

State Tuition Assistance 

At SLCC all AS, AA, and AAS degree programs are approved for VA benefits. Please check with Veterans Services to determine if other desired programs are approved.